If you want to shop, dine or catch some live music while surrounded by the history of old California, you need to check out Old Town Newhall.
Old Town Newhall is the arts and entertainment area of Santa Clarita featuring boutique shopping, locally owned and operated restaurants, theatres, wine bars, craft breweries, the Old Town Newhall Library, William S. Hart Park and Museum, Walk of Western Stars and Heritage Junction Historic Park.
Shopping in Old Town Newhall
Laid-back and walkable, Old Town Newhall offers unique and fantastic retail shops, including:
- Soapish – Handcrafted bath and body boutique featuring artisan soaps and finely crafted lotions, creams, scrubs and more.
- Barn & Charm – Offers chalk/clay paint, finishes and workshops with an eclectic mix of rustic, casual, salvage and more refined elegant décor.
- Closet on Main – A clothing resale boutique that sells new and gently used upscale clothing. It is completely volunteer-run and all sale proceeds go to supporting Single Mothers Outreach and the families they serve.
- MaMaison – Offering distinctive home decor, kitchen and garden accessories, hand-crafted jewelry, wedding gifts and more.
- Mascot Aesthetic – A well-being boutique offering esthetic services, microblading and select items made by artists and craftspeople.
- Propinquities – Find the perfect gift or your new favorite outfit among Propinquities’ carefully curated collection of jewelry, home décor and clothing.
Restaurants in Old Town Newhall
For all the foodies out there, Old Town Newhall has many fantastic restaurants featuring eclectic menus, craft beer and wine. Some of the restaurants in the area include:
- Newhall Refinery – The Newhall Refinery has an extensive craft beer menu featuring locally-brewed beer as well as brews from around the country and the world. The food they offer is farm-to-fork and everything is prepared from scratch daily, with fresh and organic ingredients. Stop in for a, charcuterie board, grass-fed beef burgers, steaks, handmade pasta dishes, vegetarian specialties and more.
- Egg Plantation – Featuring 101 different omelets, Egg Plantation is the place to go for a fresh breakfast or brunch. They also offer pancakes, waffles, French toast, Eggs Benedict, salads, burgers, sandwiches, soup, an espresso bar and fantastic bloody marys
- Brewery Draconum – A family-owned brewery featuring 20 taps, house brews and an elevated pub-style menu. Enjoy your drink in the backyard-style beer garden, play bocce ball while listening to live music.
- Double Trouble Wine Room – A spacious, comfortable and fun place to enjoy world-class, hand-crafted wines from top vineyards in California, and made locally in Santa Clarita.
- Smokehouse on Main – Offers southern-style barbeque cuisine with a gourmet twist. 30 craft beers on tap in a casual yet upscale atmosphere.
- Newhall Press Room – Mixing a variety of fine wines with bistro style food and small plates, the Newhall Press Room is one of Santa Clarita’s best wine bars. The restaurant features a Saturday wine education program, wine/cheese flight pairings, dessert and more.
- The Daily Harvest Cold-Pressed Juicery and Café – Family owned and operated, the Daily Harvest Café has fresh and wholesome menu items including sandwiches and flatbreads, salads and soups. Their cold-pressed juice ensures high nutritional integrity and tastes great too!
- Honu Coffee – A local favorite, family-owned, independent coffee spot. Try the Surfin’ Honu or some fresh cold brew.
Old Town Newhall also plays host to the popular Thursdays@Newhall – free evening events on Thursday nights that highlight the area’s thriving arts and entertainment scene.
- JAM Sessions – an interactive music and dance event – and 10 by 10 – an open mic variety show with 10 selected entertainers doing 10 minute sets – are held every first Thursday of the month.
- Variety Night – various events like car shows, movies, art walks and more – and Note by Note – a musical showcase featuring a variety of genres – are held every second Thursday.
- SENSES block party – with live music, food trucks and vendors – and Art Receptions – featuring a different artist each month at the Arts and Events Office – are held every third Thursday.
- The ARTree Speaker Series and the New Heights Artist Development Series are held on the fourth Thursday, every other month. These series feature lectures, panel discussions and workshops.
Coming soon to the area is Laemmle Theatres, an independent movie theater chain with six other locations around Los Angeles. The theater, which will specialize in indie, foreign and art films, is anticipated to have seven screens with about 500 seats.
Established in the late 19th Century, Newhall was the first permanent town in the Santa Clarita Valley. It was incorporated into the City of Santa Clarita in 1987, but its rich history and old west heritage can still be felt today.